9 Foods to Consume for a Healthy Heart
We all like living a healthy and happy life, and for that, we have to keep our body and health in good condition. One of the most important organs in the body is our heart. A healthy heart is indispensable for living life to the fullest. Apart from exercising daily, dietary habits are equally important to keep the heart healthy. One can include the following food items for a healthy heart in their diet as it will improve their overall health and not lead to any side effects.
Following are some food items that are indispensable to a good and healthy heart. You must try and opt for the organic variants of these foods, if possible:
- Oatmeal: Gym-goers often opt for oatmeal because of its high protein content, and at the same time, it is also a good option for those people who want to keep heart-related problems away by staying fit. It is rich in soluble fiber which lowers the risk of cholesterol significantly. One can either add some sugar or salt to it or use some other spices for flavor.
- Berries: While most people know that blueberries are amongst the few food items that promote a healthy heart, only a few know that other berries like raspberries and strawberries are equally good. Consuming blueberries on a regular basis lowers the risk of heart-related problems by more than 30% in comparison to those who don’t consume berries at all.
- Dark chocolate: Most of us like eating chocolate. Only a few stay away from it, and that too, because of medical reasons. However, everyone needs to know that dark chocolate is good for the health of the heart. Dark chocolate has flavonoids called polyphenols which aid in maintaining regular blood pressure levels and prevent blood clotting. However, other types of chocolates such as milk bars do not provide the same benefits.
- Nuts: Nuts such as walnuts, almonds, pistachios, and macadamia nuts are superfoods that aid in maintaining a healthy heart. The fiber content of these nuts is what makes them the favorite of folks who are concerned about the health of their heart. The vitamin E in these nuts help to keep one’s cholesterol levels in check. Moreover, nuts are healthy for people of all age groups.
- Potatoes: While potatoes are a rich source of starch, one should not avoid their consumption. They are suitable for maintaining a healthy body and mind unless you have it in the fried form. The potassium content of potatoes helps control high blood pressure significantly, while the fiber content is good for a healthy heart.
- Fruits: Fruits are one of the healthiest foods to exist. Different fruits serve different purposes, and when it comes to the heart, one should opt for citrus fruits. Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C which is quite essential to lower the risks associated with heart diseases. The best method to consume citrus fruits is to eat them ripe or take them in the form of fresh juices. If you are in the habit of drinking processed fruit juices, then you should start checking their sugar content. Excess sugar can lead to several health problems.
- Soy: One can consume soy in several forms such as soy milk, tofu, and the dishes prepared from these items. It is an excellent source of protein and is preferred by bodybuilders as well. Soy contains fiber and polyunsaturated fats which are suitable for maintaining a healthy body and vitamins which promote the overall health of an individual. It is crucial as it helps reduce high blood pressure which eventually keeps other heart-related diseases at bay.
Some other foods for a healthy heart are green tea, olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, avocados, and so on. The list is endless, so you don’t have to worry about having the same set of foods over and over again. If someone does not have fruits and vegetables often, they can opt for several animal-based food sources that can help with maintaining a healthy heart. Here are some food items that non-vegans can consume to ensure that they have a healthy heart:
- Salmon: Salmon fish contains omega-3 fatty acids which are indispensable to maintain the health of the heart. Some studies also prove that the nutrients in the fish help individuals deal with irregular heartbeats as well. Some other fish that one can consume for the same purpose are mackerel and sardines.
- Liver: Liver is also good for a healthy heart. It contains many essential ingredients that improve the health of the heart.
Also, freshly-made chicken, pork, and lean beef are good for one’s health, but one must consume these in controlled amounts as per their required calorie intake. Keep an eye on the fat content in these ingredients as well.
Top 9 Shoes for Those with Foot Pain
Foot pain is a very common problem faced by a majority of the people in the country. This is definitely not something that surprises everyone as you put a lot of pressure on your foot when you run, walk, or do any kind of physical activities. As foot pain is extremely common, many people do not realize the strain that the feet do through. Moreover, buying the wrong footwear can worsen the condition.
Untreated foot pain can lead to a variety of other conditions that may be permanent. Therefore, it is very important to make sure that you are treating the condition well, and wearing the right shoes for foot pain is definitely part of the plan. Along with pain, you may also have nail infections, nail fungus, arthritis, foot odor problems, and other nerve disorders. Here is a list of the best footwear that you can opt for in case of foot pain.
Adidas Adipower Weightlifting
Basically, this shoe is designed for the weightlifting, but it can be used by anyone. These shoes have plastic heels and PU coated leather, which is going to protect the foot from pain in case of any excessive pressure on the foot. A special polymer in the sole of the shoe is another advantage of buying the shoes.
Birkenstock is one of the best shoes for foot pain, and Birkenstock Boston is definitely a good choice for those who are looking for an ache-free walking experience. The synthetic sole of these shoes offers you a comfortable walk. These shoes are made of fashionable leather, which makes the shoes more attractive. The adjustable strap makes the shoes perfect fit for any size and shape.
Vionic Jon Orthotic
These slip-ons are made using leather and durable rubber for the midsole. These are considered a perfect choice for those who want perfect shoes for foot pain on their vacation. They do cause any kind of pain when you are hiking or walking on a sandy beach. The midsole of these slip-ons will absorb shock and, hence, provide you a comfortable walk.
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18
The comfortable cushioning and rubber sole of these Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18 are considered as one of the best choices for the best shoes for foot pain. The previous models from Brooks like GTS 16 and 17 are not considered good as the GTS 18 model as these provide the best comfort. If you are looking for the perfect shoes for running, then these should be your top choice.
Telic Flip flops
Synthetic flip flops from Telic are easy to wear and provide good relief from the foot pain. You can wear them anywhere for a casual walk like when you are walking around the house, walking out of the house, to a nearby supermarket or when you go out for a quick bite. They are simple, weightless, and comfortable.
These sneakers come with removable triple density footbed and this offers you superior arch support and also shock absorption. These are the most preferred shoes from this brand and you are going to enjoy a comfortable walk or run. You also get an added support and stability due to the built-in shank of the Paisley shoes.
ASICS Gel Kayano 25
These shoes are considered the best choice for those who have foot pain. They are in the market for 20 years and are still considered the best choice. They are highly durable and offer high performance.
New Balance M1540V2
New Balance is a popular shoe brand for the athletes. They make more than four million shoes per year. In case you are suffering from toe and heel pain, this is the best choice for you. These shoes also provide enough ventilation and are, hence, considered a good choice for both athletes and also for those who are suffering from foot pain.
Olukai Nohea Moku
If you are looking for some comfortable shoes that give the comfort of flip-flops, then the Olukai Nohea Moku is a good choice. These provide balance and comfort as well. For casual wear, these are the most popular choice of many people in the country. You can wear them to any place.
If you are suffering from foot pain and looking for the best choice of footwear, then the aforementioned are some of the best options to consider. You can choose from the any of these shoes for foot pain. They are some of the top footwear brands in the USA and also those brands that provide great comfort to your feet. They are made using breathable material so that you do not have to face any kind of problems with your feet like infections or fungus. Compare them and bring home the best footwear for yourself.
Foods to eat and natural remedies for nasal polyps
Nasal polyps are noncancerous and develop in the nose or sinuses. They usually develop due to allergies, inflammation, or infections and include symptoms like a runny nose, sneezing, breathing difficulties, and itching. And though there are doctor-recommended treatments for the condition, you can always try eating certain foods and other natural remedies to manage the symptoms of nasal polyps.
Foods to eat
Research suggests that ginger contains antimicrobial properties that can alleviate inflammation and enhance immunity. You can add about 1-2 tsp of ginger powder spice or its root to your food for best results.
Echinacea, as a powdered supplement, extract, or infused in tea, is an immune-booster that helps manage symptoms of nasal polyps.
Cayenne pepper contains spice, hot pepper, and capsaicin that helps clear sinuses. It is also known to clear nasal passages, relieve inflammation, and improve immunity. You can add 1-2 tsp of the spice to your food or recipes.
Studies show that butterbur holds several properties to manage symptoms of nasal polyps. These include sinus-related symptoms such as allergies, migraines, headaches, and asthma. You can purchase butterbur extracts and follow the label’s instructions.
Turmeric, though not a cure for nasal polyps, is a known source of anti-inflammatory properties. These properties can soothe inflammation and reduce any irritation in the airways. As for how to use the powder, mix a teaspoon or two into your daily meals, or try it as a hot cup of turmeric-infused tea.
Chamomile is an excellent food source for relieving the symptoms of nasal polyps. A tea made from the medicinal flower can alleviate allergies, sinuses, and even inflammation. Adults can have about four cups (about 220 to 1600 mg) of chamomile tea per day.
Sweet potatoes are high in nutrients known to treat the symptoms of the condition. They contain good levels of beta-carotene and vitamin C, among other essential properties. Studies show that sweet potatoes are least likely to cause allergic reactions, which is one of the common symptoms of nasal polyps.
According to studies, mushrooms are rich in selenium – a nutrient that exhibits several health benefits. The nutrient is also why mushrooms are known to relieve allergic reactions linked to nasal polyps.
Nasal rinses are super-effective in treating symptoms of nasal polyps. Further, a nasal wash, spray, or rinse with sterilized water can moisturize and clean the nasal passage and prevent recurrences. It also helps flush out any allergens and irritants.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil (an essential oil) can help reduce itching and control inflammation. So when it comes to treating the symptoms of nasal polyps, try inhaling the steam of the oil or an aromatherapy diffuser for effective results.
Other natural remedies
Apart from nasal rinses and tea tree oils, you can also try the following:
- Breathing exercises to reduce congestions and alleviate the symptoms of nasal polyps.
- Humidifier to prevent dryness in the air, add moisture into it and then your nasal passages.
- Eucalyptus oil to relieve congestion and encourage breathing by inhaling a diluted solution or via a diffuser.
7 lifestyle changes that can help improve psoriatic arthritis
Psoriasis arthritis is an autoimmune disease that affects the skin causing red patches, development of flakes and inflammation. Two to three percent of the world’s population has psoriasis, with about 8 million affected people from the US alone. Patients with psoriasis tend to develop an inflammatory form of arthritis called psoriatic arthritis. It affects about 1% of the population and can result in a poor quality of life. With that being said, here are seven lifestyle changes that can help improve psoriatic arthritis.
Following a healthy diet is a lifestyle change that has to be incorporated into everyone’s life, be it someone suffering from psoriatic arthritis or not. Its importance cannot be reinstated enough with obesity being one of the rising concerns in today’s world. Eating healthy. Psoriatic arthritis patients should take care to consume food that is low in salt, sugar, and fat. Since psoriatic arthritis causes pain in the joints, being overweight does not help this at all. Drink lots of water and consume enough fruits and vegetables.
An active lifestyle, similar to healthy eating is not specific to psoriatic arthritis patients but everyone in general. Daily exercise helps to reduce stiffness in the joints, which is one of its many symptoms. The rigor of the exercise should vary depending on the level of the symptoms. Exercising in groups or finding a physiotherapist can help ensure that there is no lack of motivation.
Stress is one of the main triggers in Psoriatic Arthritis. Triggers usually cause flares, which cause a spike in the symptoms for a particular period. Practicing yoga and meditation can help reduce any possible stress triggers.
Stop smoking and reduce alcohol consumption
Smoking can aggravate breathing issues and also triggers psoriatic arthritis. Increased alcohol consumption also causes other issues that, when combined with psoriatic arthritis, can result in a very poor quality of life.
Getting a bit of sunlight can help psoriatic patients with their condition but is considered as more of a complementary exercise to reduce soreness and stiffness. Doctors have warned that too much sunlight can be harmful and detrimental to patients as it can cause flares. So consult with doctors on how much time should be spent in the sun.
Take prescribed medication
NSAIDs can be prescribed by the doctor and can help treat Psoriatic Arthritis to an extent. These are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that, as the name suggests, reduces inflammation which is one of the most common symptoms of such patients. Biologics also help to reduce inflammation and is a new type of DMARDs (Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs). Refrain from using steroids unless very necessary and advised by the doctor. They tend to increase rashes while trying to help treat the patient.
Acupuncture has found popularity among patients. It releases endorphins that reduce pain and serves as an alternative to taking excess amounts of painkiller medication in the form of pills.
All the above points should be inculcated as lifestyle changes that can help improve Psoriatic Arthritis. Always remember to do everything in moderation. Anything in excess can become poison, and the same goes for these aspects.
In addition to these seven changes, one should pay attention to two crucial factors — nutrition and medication. It is important to consume foods that soothe psoriatic arthritis symptoms. Foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce disease activity, joint tenderness, and redness. Such foods include salmon, tuna, seaweed, flaxseed, and chia seeds. Berries, nuts, and antioxidant-rich foods should also be consumed as they decrease oxidative stress.
Medications can also be used to treat psoriatic arthritis. Otezla is an approved prescription medicine that acts as a PDE4 inhibitor and reduces overactive inflammation caused due to psoriatic arthritis. Otezla psoriatic arthritis treatments can help manage symptoms such as joint swelling, tenderness, and pain. One of the advantages of using Otezla is that it does not require initial or routine blood tests.
Adalimumab is another medicine that can be prescribed for treating psoriatic arthritis. The medication is injected subcutaneously. It can be taken fortnightly depending on the severity of the disease. Excess tumor necrosis factor (TNF) can cause inflammation in the body. Adalimumab works by stopping TNF from attacking healthy cells, thereby reducing inflammation. It’s advisable to consult with your doctor before using any pill or medication to treat psoriatic arthritis.