Breast cancer – Symptoms, causes, and management
Breast cancer develops when the cells in the breasts grow and divide in an uncontrolled manner. This leads to the formation of a mass tissue known as a tumor. Typically, this type of cancer develops in either the milk-making glands of the breast or the ducts that carry milk. If left unchecked, the tumor can grow and spread to the surrounding lymph nodes and other parts of the body. Here is everything to know:
Generally, the symptoms of breast cancer can vary from one person to another. However, here are a few common symptoms of the condition:
– Changes in shape, size, or appearance of the breasts
– Development of small pea-sized lumps or mass in the breasts
– Redness developing on the breast skin or nipple
– A hardened spot under the skin
– Clear or blood-stained discharge from the nipple
While some of these signs can be easily observed, others may be harder to spot. This is why routine checkups, self-examination, and mammograms can help one get an early diagnosis
The primary cause of cancer is the uncontrolled growth and division of breast cells. However, what triggers this process is not yet known. However, the following risk factors have been associated with the development of breast cancer:
Age: The risk of the condition increases with age, so those aged 55 and above have an increased risk of developing breast cancer.
Gender: Women are more likely to develop breast cancer than men, as women’s breast cells have a higher exposure to hormones such as estrogen and progesterone, which promote cell growth.
Family history: Those who have close family members with a history of breast cancer are more likely to develop the condition in the future. This risk factor can be confirmed with genetic testing, as almost 5% to 10% of cases can be attributed to abnormal genes passed down from one generation to the other.
Some of the other risk factors associated with the condition are exposure to radiation and undergoing hormone replacement therapy.
In addition to physical breast examinations, most healthcare providers may suggest certain tests to check for abnormalities in the breasts. This includes mammograms, positron emission tomography scanning ( PET scans), ultrasonography, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Based on the results, a diagnosis of breast cancer may be offered.
While there are many treatment options for the condition, the most suitable one is determined by factors such as the location of the tumor, its size, and whether cancerous cells have spread to other areas. Accordingly, the healthcare provider can offer options like surgery in combination with immunotherapy, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy to help get rid of cancer cells.
One should consult a doctor if they observe any signs of cancer, as an early diagnosis can be a key step toward better management of the condition.
Essential Tips for Reversing Diabetes Naturally
According to a survey, diabetes is one of the most rapidly growing health problems. Nowadays, millions of people suffer from raised blood sugar levels. This disease affects people from several age groups. About 132,000 children up to 18 years old have juvenile diabetes. According to medical studies, a fasting blood glucose level that is higher than 126 mg/dL or ranges around 100-125 mg/dL is known as a pre-diabetic condition. If a patient’s blood glucose levels are around 99 mg/dL, it is considered normal. According to a medical survey, the standard benchmark of fasting blood glucose levels is below 83 mg/dL.
When a patient’s blood sugar level increases, their risk of heart disease rises as well. There are numerous preventive measures to control your blood sugar level from the start. So if you want to lead a normal life, you can follow some steps to reverse diabetes naturally. Along with these measures, one has to follow a strict schedule which includes healthy eating habits as well as exercises for weight loss. Adding natural foods such as cinnamon or apple cider vinegar to your diet can help improve your body’s insulin sensitivity.
Essential tips for reversing diabetes naturally
The effectiveness of these reversing techniques will depend upon various factors such as the severity of the condition, the duration for which one has had diabetes, and the genetics of the individual. However, one you inhibit your blood sugar levels, you should not go back to your old habits. Hence, these tips are only valuable if an individual follows a strict schedule along taking medications on time. Here are some essential tips which can help you reverse diabetes naturally:
Increase your consumption of foods which contain whole grains
The food items which have whole grains contain ample amounts of essential nutrients as well as fiber. Thus, as these foods have a low glycemic index, the absorption of glucose into the blood will slow down. According to a survey, a high-fiber diet can help individuals maintaining a healthy weight. Whole grains are rich sources of fiber, because of which it’ll be easier for people to lose weight.
Limit alcohol consumption
Reducing the consumption of refined carbs or sugar can help in reversing diabetes naturally. If you drink alcohol every day, you must know that it will increase your total calorie consumption. Alcohol contains chemical mixtures which can raise your blood glucose levels. Thus, the calories and sugary mixers can damage your organs. At the same time, alcohol increases one’s appetite, which gives rise to various disorders. Due to an increase in your sugar levels, you might suffer from fatigue, and your energy levels will also be low. Thus, due to this, an individual is unable to perform their daily activities. According to the American Diabetes Association (ADA), an individual can drink alcohol regularly but only if they limit its consumption. Men can take two drinks, and for women, one drink a day is sufficient. However, these factors may vary from person to person, and so, it is best to consult a doctor about it.
Regular exercise is the best treatment for numerous problems. It is not very difficult to include a workout in your daily schedule. People who are overweight face a higher risk of diabetes. Thus, by performing yoga or exercise regularly, one can stay away from a rapid increase in body weight. Thus, it is the best natural cure for multiple problems including diabetes, and moreover, regular exercise can also help burn calories, leading to weight loss. According to this concept, one can easily control their blood sugar levels by staying active. The reason behind this is that active muscles can obtain the glucose that they need. As a result, the level of glucose in the blood decreases. Additionally, it is not necessary to perform these exercises for hours. An individual can divide their time according to their lifestyle. So, keep in mind that regardless of your profession, you must set aside at least 30 minutes every day for performing exercises.
Stress and depression are two factors which affect a lot of people at some point in their lives. Our modern lifestyle leads to a lot of health and mental issues. These issues can increase an individual’s blood sugar levels.
Here are some effective guidelines which can help every individual:
- Consume a healthy diet which includes salad and fresh veggies. Try to avoid non-vegetarian eatables such as poultry, meat, fish, as well as eggs or even dairy products.
- Try to consume an equivalent amount of protein from plant-based sources and non-dairy products such as nuts, beans, seeds, and tofu.
- Avoid eating foods with refined carbohydrates and white flour as it can increase your triglyceride levels.
- It is vital to concentrate on the inclusion of high-fiber as well as low glycemic index foods such as beans, fresh vegetables, fruits, and legumes as this can improve an individual’s lipid control.
Effective Ways to Lower Blood Sugar Levels
Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar is one of the most common lifestyle-associated disorders. It is characterized by a high level of blood sugar level called hyperglycemia. In a healthy person, the normal range of blood sugar is 70-130 mg/dL between meals which can spike to 180 mg/dL 1–2 hours post meals. A chronic hyperglycemia can be detrimental to the blood vessels, nerve tissues, and several other body organs. According to a new study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in the country alone, more than 100 million adults are suffering from high blood sugar. There are several ways in which the question of how to control blood sugar can be answered. However, before looking into that, let us know about the complications that high blood sugar can lead to.
Complications caused due to high blood sugar
Uncontrolled high sugar levels can lead to nerve and kidney damage, cardiovascular disorders, damage to eye lens, damage to retina which may cause complete blindness, higher chances of skin infections, infections in teeth and gums, and slow healing of an injury.
Smart ways to control blood sugar
The following tips can help one on how to control their blood sugar. However, an expert advice or consultation must be sought before starting any medication or natural treatment.
- Avoid huge meals: A diabetic patient is advised to keep his/her meal size small. This helps in effective regulation of blood sugar. However, one should not skip a meal.
- Add resistant starch to diet: The addition of resistant starch in the diet is one of the best ways to control blood sugar. Resistant starch bypasses the small intestine and subsequently gets digested by the “good bacteria” present in the large intestine. This helps in lowering the blood sugar effectively. This phenomenon is often referred to as the “second-meal” effect. Resistant starch is commonly found in beans, lentils, corn, and unripe bananas.
- Beans: It has been reported that daily consumption of a cup of beans for around 3 months helps in lowering blood sugar effectively. Moreover, beans are rich in folate, which is known to reduce the chances of cardiovascular disease.
- Regular exercise: Excess body weight causes insulin resistance. This leads to higher blood sugar levels. It is widely believed that losing mere 5-pounds may improve the blood glucose levels.
- Sleep: Chronic sleep deprivation contributes to high blood sugar levels. According to a study, sleep-deprived volunteers had higher levels of fatty acids. Fatty acids are known to cause insulin resistance, thus hindering with normal insulin action and causing higher blood sugar levels. Around 7 hours of sound sleep is generally recommended for one’s overall well being.
- Increase fiber intake: Fibers are slow to digest as they allow for a gradual rise in blood sugar levels, thus preventing a sudden spike in blood sugar levels. Soluble fibers are more effective in blood sugar management when compared with insoluble fiber.
- Don’t skip breakfast: A diabetic person should never skip their breakfast because, after 8–12 hours of fasting, the body needs glucose to maintain normal blood sugar levels.
- Eat low glycemic index (GI) food: Another answer for how to control blood sugar levels is to consume foods with a lower glycemic index. They are slow to digest and cause a gradual rise in blood sugar levels. Regular consumption of low GI food has been reported to reduce long-term blood sugar levels in diabetics. A few foods with low GI are corn, yams, non-starchy vegetables, lentils, and beans.
- Stress: Stress increases the levels of glucagon and cortisol in the blood. These hormones cause a rise in blood glucose levels. Exercise, meditation, and relaxation techniques are usually recommended to reduce the blood sugar levels by lowering the stress levels.
Some more natural remedies
Several natural remedies are available for lowering the blood sugar levels. A few of them are listed below:
- Drink copper water: Water stored overnight in a copper vessel can help in controlling blood sugar. It is one of the easiest and common home remedies for diabetes control.
- Bitter gourd: Charanthin, a natural compound present in bitter gourd, is a great way to lower blood sugar levels. It does its job by stimulating insulin secretion from the pancreas.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is rich in various bioactive compounds such as cinnamate and cinnamic acid. It lowers blood sugar level by triggering insulin activity.
- Fenugreek: It is one of the most effective strategies for controlling blood sugar. It is rich in dietary fiber and helps in proper absorption of blood sugar.
The incidence of high blood sugar has emerged as a global epidemic. A common cause for this is a sedentary lifestyle, lack of exercise, and dietary changes. Chronic hyperglycemia adversely affects almost all organs of the body. A significant change in diet and lifestyle is essentially required for the effective management of blood sugar and even for lowering blood sugar levels.
Top probiotic foods for a healthy gut
Consuming healthy bacteria must be a part of an everyday lifestyle, and for all the good reasons such as boosting immunity, metabolism, and mental health and for the overall physical well-being. Indeed, both the good and bad bacteria live in our digestive system, and this balance affects almost all functions of our health. Now, this can be both positive and negative that could upset your gut in the form of an illness or an infection. All you need is to increase your probiotic intake to restore your digestion process and maintain a balanced intestinal system. Herein, we discuss the best probiotic foods you must eat for a healthy.
This dairy food has the best strains of bacteria that ease one’s digestive system. And in today’s scenario, you would find several brands that promote probiotic yogurt specifically designed to meet digestive needs. You could tweak it by adding some fruits or toasted oats for that extra flavor. You must ensure that it does not have any sugar, addictive and preservatives.
You will find a hoard of flavors available in the market, and it’s probably the finest fermented milk drink for it has the best strains of friendly bacteria. The good news is that people with lactose intolerance can easily consume this drink with much ease.
This is one fermented vegetarian dish that is packed with vitamins A and C and has the best anti-inflammatory properties. You can consume this as a side dish or eat with a bowl of rice or noodles to perk it up.
You could easily add cheese to your daily regime intake for that extra dose of probiotics. Mozzarella and regular cheddar cheese are good to go as they have live strains of healthy bacteria. Also, you could look for cheeses that have labels for active cultures.
This is one of the best and powerful sources of probiotic that you could consume on an everyday basis. You must look also for cultured buttermilk in case you are all specific about the probiotic food you want.
Apple cider vinegar
You got to acquire the taste as an everyday thing, yet this is the best of the lot in terms of promoting a super healthy gut. Since it’s acidic, digestion is one step ahead in the most positive way. It’s also good for weight loss and boosting metabolism.
This drink is made of black or green tea, yeast, and sugar and is widely consumed for gut healing and preventing diabetes and heart disease. You can consume this drink in case of an upset stomach as when needed.
Next time you plan for a sandwich dinner or a lunch, switch to sourdough as it is packed with probiotics.
Natural in its best way, yet choose the one that has been fermented in salt and water and not vinegar.
This fruit is high in probiotic microorganisms, and so, having one every day is a good choice.
Let your immune system improve in the most natural way and all you need is to boost it up with the right diet so to maintain a holistic balance of good and bad bacteria for that healthy gut.